As a communications professional, I’ve had the opportunity to work with many highly accomplished editors and clients. The organizations I’ve stuck with are those that have allowed me to do the kind of work I love and to do it with some of our industry’s most talented, generous, and kind people. A few of those people have been gracious enough to endorse me and my work. You can read those endorsements below and see others on LinkedIn. But first, here is a summary of my skills, awards, and experience.
Content production skills
- Communications: project management, creative direction, writing and editing content, public relations, media relations, marketing, promotions, graphic design, film production
- Journalism: enterprise reporting; commentary; narrative journalism; interviews; profiles; copy-editing; photojournalism, videography, film and book reviews
- Content Production: Microsoft Office; Adobe Creative Suite
- Content Management Systems: Drupal, WordPress, Blogger, Moveable Type
- Social Media Platforms: Facebook, Twitter, Storify, LinkedIn, Google+
Team Leadership and mentoring; creative direction; project design and management; website design, launch, management; grant writing and reporting; entrepreneurship and small business management; event planningand management; media relations
Awards and fellowships I’ve received
- EPA – Third place, Freelance Article, 2013; First place, General Website (Urban Faith), 2012; Finalist, Devotional, 2008; First place, Cause of the Year, 2006.
- RNA – Second Place, Commentary, 2013; Finalist, Commentary, 2012.
- Gralla/Brandeis Fellowship on Judaism, 2008.
Awards I’ve judged
- Christianity Today Book Awards, 2004-2010.
Outlets that have published my work
On Faith, Sojourners, The High Calling, Urban Faith, The Huffington Post, Jersey Shore Patch, Faith & Leadership, Christianity Today, The North Parker, Facts & Trends, Turner Wellness Media, Slate, First Things, The Other Journal, Patheos, Image Journal “Good Letters.”
Outlets that have interviewed me
- On the Shoulders of Others, The High Calling, May 2013.
- What J/MS Alum Are Doing, Alum-Knights, May 2013.
- Can Faith Alone Treat Mental Illness? “Tell Me More”” on NPR, April 2013.
- Suicide & Religion: Mathew Warren’s Death Raises Questions for Mental Illness & Faith, HuffPostLive, April 2013.
- The Ride With John & Kathy on Word FM, 2009 and 2011 discussing some of my Christianity Today articles.
Articles of mine that have been included in anthologies
- “The GOP’s Multiracial Convention Stage,” Opposing Viewpoints: Multiracial America (Greenhaven Press, 2013).
- “Be Merciful to Me, Lord,” 2013 Lenten Devotional (Foundations for Laity Renewal 2013)
- “In the Valley of the Shadow of Suicide,” Suffering Redeemed: Stories of Grace in the Midst of Personal Tragedy (Christianity Today, 2012).
- “A Laughing Child in Exchange for Sin,” Opposing Viewpoints: Religion and Sexuality (Greenhaven Press, 2007)
Books that bear my professional mark
- Jimmy H. Woo: GrandMaster of Kung Fu San Soo by Bernice Chin Woo (Pleasant Hill Publishing, 2009)
- The New Conspirators by Tom Sine (InterVarsity Press, 2008)
- Falling in Love With the Bible by Mike MacIntosh (Cook Communications, 2005)
- Harvest reprint, compilation (Word for Today)
- Ordinary Women, Extraordinary God, compilation (Calvary Publishing, 2005)
- Redeemed & Restored, co-authored (Calvary Publishing, 2005)
- John Courson’s Application Commentary NT and OT Vol. 1, 2 (Thomas Nelson, 2004, 2006)
- As They Saw It: A Half-Century of Conversations From The Open Mind by Richard D. Heffner (Carroll & Graff, 2004)
- Spiritual Warfare by Brian Brodersen (Back to Basics, 2004)
- The Dark Side of Calvinism by George Bryson (Calvary Publishing, 2004)
- Breaking Free From the Barrenness of Bitterness by Damian Kyle (Calvary Publishing, 2004)
- A Passion for Jesus, compilation (C.C. Downey)
- Patient Evangelism by Lloyd Pulley (Calvary Publishing, 2003)
- Overcoming Temptation by Damian Kyle (Calvary Publishing, 2003)
- Consuming Fire by Brian Brodersen (Back to Basics, 2003)
- None of These Things Move Me by Don McClure (Calvary Chapel, 2003)
- The Seeker by Jeff Johnson (Sound Doctrine, 2003)
- Public Relations Society of America, 2016
- Religion News Association, 2011-2016
- Online News Association, 2012-214
- Investigative Reporters and Editors, 2006-2008
- General Assembly, Visual Design Certificate, 2015
- Brookdale Community College, Webmaster program, 2012-2013
- Rutgers University School of Communication and Information, summa cum laude B.A. in Journalism and Media Studies (with Life Sciences emphasis), 1997
- Eastern Mennonite University, Visual Art and Design major (with Life Sciences emphasis), 1982-1984